Windows 10 was released by Microsoft years ago and seems to be working well with the users in many aspects. As its downside, Many users have reported slow internet speed issues on Windows 10. This can be credited to various background services like automatic system updates or to other services that use a lot of network bandwidth due to poor customization of settings.
Nevertheless, you can follow some steps to increase your internet speed. There are many ways to address the issue of internet speed on your windows computer. They have been tried and tested and somewhat have given results to increase internet speed on windows. So, here are some of the ways you can follow to increase broadband speed on windows computers.
How To Increase Broadband Speed On Windows
1. Turn off background apps
You might not realize but there are many apps running in the background on your windows computer. They also sometimes update and therefore causing your broadband speed to slow down. Hence, it is important to close the background apps when not in use. to do this, follow the steps below.
- Go to your computer settings.
- Click on privacy>background apps.
3. You will be given a list of apps running on your computer. Turn off the apps that are running in the background and you don’t need it.
2. Change DNS server
Here are the steps you can use to increase broadband speed on your windows by changing the properties in your DNS server
- Click on Windows button +X.
- Click on Network Connections.
3. Click on change adapter options.
4. Right click on Ethernet and click on properties
5. There will be a list of options. Click on Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPV4) as shown.
6. Click on ‘Use the following DNS server addresses’.
7. For Google DNS type 22.214.171.124 in the first tab and 126.96.36.199 in the second tab. If you want to use OpenDNS, type in 188.8.131.52 in the first tab and 184.108.40.206 in the second tab.
3. Disable Windows update
Software updates also take a lot of bandwidth and in turn decrease your network speed. Although it is not a recommended option, still if your computer is facing connectivity issues, you can go on to disable the updates on your computer. Here is how can you can disable updates on your computer.
- Click on settings
- In search tab, click on Windows update and then go to advanced options.
3. Toggle off the button under ‘Allow downloads from other PCs’ option.
4. Empty the TEMP folder and flush cache
It is necessary to clear TEMP and cache files that might accumulate over time on your computer. These can cause storage space issues as well as connectivity issues. To clear TEMP and cache files, follow the step down below.
- Click on Settings
- Click on System. Then click on Storage.
3. You will see temporary files option. click on the option.
4. Delete the TEMP files you don’t need on your computer by checking the box and clicking on delete.
Following one or all of the above steps has significantly shown improvements in the internet speed. Try these methods if you want to increase your broadband speed and let us know if you were able to solve the connectivity issues you were facing. Give your views in the comments.